As a self-proclaimed nerd, I have basically a library in my house. However, my interest in re-reading any of my books for the billionth time is virtually nonexistent at the moment so today I found myself with a 30% Borders coupon and my Jeep’s keys in hand. While in the store, my love for vampires kicked in (Borders must know me too well since there is a display set up all about them). Unfortunately, Twilight trashed up an otherwise decent collection of blooksuckers. On the other hand, they missed a few good ones, so I figured I correct their issue and just make them a list of the best vampires.
10. Louis from Interview with a Vampire–He’s all brooding and sad and cute and protective over Claudia. It’s kind of hard not to love this guy.
9. LeStat from Interview with a Vampire–Complete opposite of Louis. This guy is freaking nuts and refuses to die…exactly the way a good vamp should be.
8. Barlow from Salem’s Lot–I love a good Stephen King novel and this is one of my favorites (Finally one that isn’t drawn out with way too much exposition and detail). King was inspired by Dracula and Barlow definitely does justice to his predecessor. I mean come on, the guy is so ruthless he turns the entire town into vampires.
7. Stefan Salvatore from Vampire Diaries– This has to be the one from the show and not from the books because Stefan in the books is kind of annoying. At least in the show, he is funny and willing to fight. Plus, drunk Stefan makes me laugh.
6. Caroline Forbes from Vampire Diaries– I’m not much for straying from the original work but I’ll make an exception in this case because transforming Caroline in the show was one of the best moves the writers have made (okay, I’ll admit it: I like the show more than the books–especially since the last ones have gotten really weird). She’s like this little badass vampire Barbie and we could totally be best friends.
5. Lucius Vladescu in Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side–Maybe it’s because the main character shares my first name and she’s a vampire princess (Hello, newfound dream) or maybe it’s because he’s tortured and brooding but I cannot wait for the next book to come out. I am already counting down the days until January.
4. Damon Salvatore from Vampire Diaries– Show or book, I don’t care because I am completely heels over head for him (Ian Somerhalder definitely makes the case for the show Damon being better though). He’s charming and cocky and funny and damaged and there’s nothing I would change about him. There is a reason why he is L.J. Smith’s favorite character to write for and I understand why. He’s got disturbingly good looks plus he has Barlow’s attitude (I’ll just go ahead and quote, “I don’t chose sides. You pissed me off and now I want you dead.”) I’m not sure there’s much better than him…except for one….
3. Katherine Pierce from Vampire Diaries– Can you get much cooler than this chick (Yes, once again it’s the show because Katherine in the books is just whiny and annoying)? She didn’t pick between the two Salvatores (I have my preference but I like her style). She is all about saving her own butt–even if we all know she will come through for Stefan and Damon. She kicks butt in every fight she’s in and she’s hot. I wish I could pull off being half as hot as she is. Nina Dobrev plays her amazingly. In fact, Nina does Katherine better than her “dull as dish water doppelgänger, Elena Gilbert.” I’m not afraid to admit it, given the choice, I want to be Katherine Pierce when I grow up.
2….Okay so I ran out of my favorite blooksuckers (I refuse to put any Cullens on this list). However, my trip to the book store today resulted in the purchase of three new vampire books–Never Bite a Boy on the First Date by Tamara Summer, Evermore by Alyson Noel, and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead–so finger crossed for at least two more to finish off the list. But I wouldn’t bank on any of them taking my heart from Damon or making more envious than Katherine.