For the past, oh, three years, my summers have revolved around going to concerts. It all started with the Jonas Brothers the summer after high school graduation and, well, the shows got a lot better after that: Foreigner, Josh Turner, The Charlie Daniels Band, All Time Low, Forever the Sickest Kids, Good Charlotte, Cartel, Boys Like Girls. As awesome as each show’s been, this summer is looking even better–Miranda Lambert and Josh Thompson in July and Billy Currington in September. With nothing to do in August, I started to think about who I would love to see then.
10. Death Cab for Cutie– Thank you Josh Schwartz for creating The O.C. and making Seth Cohen the huge emo nerd he was because that’s the reason I even started listening to Death Cab. Despite the show coming to an end (way too early if you ask me), I am still a huge fan–even if I’m not really feeling the newest cd.
9. Sublime– Total stoner music, I know. But I love Sublime. So much so that I can’t pick between their remake of “Scarlet Begonias” and Grateful Dead’s original…so I have both on my iPod. The only problem here is that lead singer Bradley Nowell died from a heroin OD in 1996. It just wouldn’t be the same to see them without Bradley.
8. Jason Manns– I’m sure there’s not a single person reading this who knows who Jason Manns is but you should because he is amazing. Of course, the only reason I know about him is because I love Supernatural and he happens to be Jensen Ackles best friend. However, it doesn’t matter how I found out about him because I could listen to his cd on repeat and it would never get old. “Another Number” is one of the best songs ever written.
7. All Time Low and Forever the Sickest Kids– I know I’ve seen them before but they both came out with new music this year and they are my favorite bands. They were two of the best performances I’ve ever seen (both at Bamboozle Roadshow last year) and I’m not sure anyone will be able to top them. Between hearing “I Guess You Can Say Things Are Getting Pretty Serious” by FTSK and “Just the Way I’m Not” by ATL could make me the happiest girl ever.
6. Eminem– I’ll be the first to say that I love Eminem (I’ll also be the first to say that I should never ever be allowed to rap). It wouldn’t matter what material he’s performing–with the exception of Relapse because that one just sucked.
5. Howie Day– I found him when I downloaded some kind of mix from Vampire Diaries. I really liked the one song by him but didn’t realize how much I liked him until I got the rest of his music (on the same day as I went on a downloading spree of The Thrills, Shout Out Louds, Nada Surf, Matt Pond PA, and The Dandy Warhols).
4. Laura Bell Bundy– I just downloaded her cd and I LOVED it. I’m not one for girl singers…unless they kick butt like her and Miranda Lambert. With songs like “Giddy On Up” and “I’m No Good For Ya Baby,” she is definitely my kind of girl. We could be best friends any day.
3. Blake Shelton– I’m going to see his new wife in July and I wouldn’t hate it if she decided to bring him along. They’re just too cute that I can’t even be mad that he’s married now. Lucky for him, I’ll remain a fan because I’ve loved his music since “Austin” and have every song he’s released since.
2. Backstreet Boys– I am not afraid to admit it: I have BSB on my iPod and I proudly sing along when I’m driving and I still love AJ. In fact, after going to a Keys game with my bestie, we listened to them the whole way home (thanks to my new favorite minor leaguer’s at-bat song being BSB).
1. The Eagles– The whole reason I came up with this topic is because I heard “Hotel California” on the radio. I cannot listen to The Eagles and not smile and sing along. I knew all the words to “Desperado” when I was four and it’s still one of my favorite songs.