Apparently some professors just don’t know what they are getting into when they decide to branch out and teach classes not specific to their field. And while I will admit that I was partially wrong in what I recently argued with this teacher (My favorite helped me figure this one out), he just doesn’t know when to stop. Yesterday, he gave us an assignment for next week, one that gave me free rein to basically type whatever I want and he is incapable of arguing (He ever said he couldn’t grade this one for right or wrong…though I’m sure I’ll break down and be the good student I sadly am and write something relevant). He asked us to write about 500 words on what we think the world will look like in 20 years (Smart guy. Didn’t even mention he wanted it to be technology based). So let’s brainstorm the various answers I could give him…
1) In 20 years, I think the world will have realized that Eric Kripke is a prophet of the Lord and Supernatural has basically come true. We will be at the point where Lilith has broken the seals and the Winchesters are working to figure out how to stop Lucifer and Michael from taking them as vessels. Since I am a giant Supernatural fangirl, the Winchesters will have adopted me in there little ragtag team of hunters and I will be helping them as I know how they are supposed to do this. Oh yeah, I will be keeping Cas from going all power trip and exploding or whatever he did. And Dean will never get back with Lisa (Or any other random girl he finds. Seriously? He’s with Aunt Jenna from Vampire Diaries tonight?) because he will realize that I am better than her and the Impala (okay, maybe not the Impala).
2) In 20 years, the zombie apocalypse will have already occurred. The Earth will be left as a desolate wasteland. Zombies will have eaten the brains of all but a few survivors who have had to hide in the shadows like vampires until the zombies are starved to death (Because they are stupid by nature and the survivors will be smart enough to be able to stay alive). At this point, the survivors will be attempting to repopulate the race and construct the best shelter and society they can with what little resources are left (These survivors probably read my Cohen/Zombie post and heeded my advice).
3) In 20 years, aliens have invaded the Earth. Now as far as I see there are two routes this could take (I’m not willing to be on one side of the fence or the other). The aliens could be really nice. They could be helping us fix all the environmental and health concerns on the planet thanks to their awesome alien technology. We, in return, would be feeding them some very excellent food. Seeing as the Earth has the best food in the universe, they will graciously accept it as payment for helping us. We become friends with this race and our two plans are allies against any threats from other planets (And they probably have some wicked good music with them).
The other possibility is a much bleaker one. Basically, we will be looking at Independence Day only we lose…massively. Either the war will still be going on and the aliens will be kicking our butts with their much more advance technology, weapons, and war tactics (On the bright side, all the countries will have reached peace in order to save the planet). Or the war will be over and the aliens will have taken over our planet. They will have killed a lot of us in their win but the rest of us will be enslaved. Picture slaves in Egypt only a lot more manual labor and I’m guessing a lot of flames and torture.
4) In 20 years, we will have some very advance technology. So advance that they have replaced humans. Robots are doing all the work for us while we just sit back and chill (Obesity will be an even bigger problem then). Of course, the robots are secretly planning on overthrowing and enslaving the humans since they are smarter than us (Seriously, why do we insist on creating this creepy technology when we don’t need it and it can only end badly for us? Are we really that lazy?). And like all the others, obviously, we are all in some serious trouble if this one happens.
5) In 20 years, Sheldon Cooper’s dreams will have come true and he is the leader of the world. We will all be living by his crazy neurotic rules with severe punishments to come upon us if we step out of line. Sadly for me, he will probably outlaw all soft sciences and, therefore, we will no longer me studying psychology, sociology, or anything like that. We will like by rigid rules on what, how, and when we can eat (There will be a lot of Chinese takeout). Relationships and coitus might possibly be outlawed as well since this is just another one of the human experiences that Sheldon doesn’t understand (Let’s hope Amy Farrah Fowler pulls status as his girlfriend and does something about this. Though, I have a sneaking suspicion this is in the contract somehow). Any person who contracts an illness–even the common cold–will be immediately put to death. And more important than anything, no one can sit in Sheldon’s seat. This will be means for inflicting the most painful punishment of all (Well, this and whistling).
6) In 20 years, everything’s the same. Sure, we’ll have the iPhone like 100.0 and by that point we will all have had to give in the get some kind of e-reader and iPad type of thing (I will fight the whole e-reader thing as long as I can. No one can argue with me that one of the greatest smells in the world is not the smell of a book). We’ll all have massively and overly sized televisions. I’m think at this point we’ll just give Best Buy the dimensions of our wall and it will be made to fit that. Computers are up in the air. Some people will probably still use desktops and laptops but the “cool, techie” people will all be using iPads only. Blu-Rays and DVDs will have been replaced by downloading straight to the TV probably. Music will be downloaded to the exact place you want to listen to it like in your car or computer. That probably means no more iPods (Nope, I’m not accepting this one either. My iPod is pretty much my best friend). And thanks to all this technology because you know at this point we will have found ways to make it do stuff we’re to lazy to do, the whole obesity problem will be even worse.
So I think all these are excellent conjectures about what the world could be like in 20 years. Hopefully not much changes because I seriously do not understand why we create technology that could possibly over power us or render us useless. Just because you can? I don’t really think that’s a good idea. And making us lazier as a species is just about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. We do not need any more of that. The world will suffer greatly. I’m sure I’ll be using something along the lines of the last one when I actually get around to doing my homework but I wish I had the guts to post something about Sheldon or the Zombie Apocalypse.